Thursday, May 29, 2008

New Glue

I'm beginning to believe that the business here is going to be non-stop. We've seen some magnificent things so far this week, but it has been one of the most exhausting. Our schedule has been getting up between 7:30-8am and being out until later in the afternoon and not finishing homework until 2 or 3am. I'm hoping to manage my time better, as I would love to have time to go out and just sit or photograph.

Tuesday was AMAZING to say the least. We had our first time in an actual classroom for a few hours to discuss what we've done so far (and also attempt to learn some very elementary engineering). After that we went to a nearby university called AIU (American Intercontinental University - London)and visited their arts program. We got to look at some fantastic sample work and talk to some students (a few of which were from the States) about their experiences. The idea is that many students get two undergraduate art degrees - one in American and one here, so the students ranged from 18-25. I spoke with two students, one in photography whose work just blew my mind. Sure he's paying $170,000 in debt, but the opportunities the school provides are unbelievable. The other student is planning on staying in London and is already making a great wage. Their exhibition opening is tonight, but I will have to get to see it later. That night, we went as a group to see Shakespeare's A Mid-Summer Night's Dream at the famous Globe Theatre. It honestly went beyond my expectations. Everything was so well done, the acting, costumes, ambiance, music. Just being at the Globe made it the all better. It's an open roof amphitheater with all of the original design elements. We had great seats, right beside the stage in a balcony-type area. I wasn't expecting it, but I laughed until I just about cried. Shakespeare sure was kind of pervy and the actors put a great sense of physical comedy into it. After it was over, our section walked out and it was dark, of course. The view of the Millennium Bridge over the Thames looked magnificent with St. Paul's Cathedral standing beyond the other side of the river. We walked to the tube in awe of the sites and in true London fashion, it began to rain.

We were so exhausted on Wednesday because of the eventful Tuesday and gobs of homework to do. Amanda and I go on lock down in our room so we can write our papers. Last night was another one of those times because it was so tempting to go out and watch the England v. America football game. A few of the guys went to the game and said it was great even though we lost.

Yesterday we visited Greenwich (the beginning of time!) where I saw the Prime Meridian. I think if I could ever live in the city of London itself, it would have to be in Greenwich. It's so beautiful with large green spaces, river views, quaint houses and great shops. We took a ferry back to Westminster that was very chilly, but also lovely as we passed under the Tower Bridge and various beautiful homes.

As Amanda and I were eating our four cheese frozen pizza on our beds while writing papers, my loose lateral incisor fell out. I knew it was going to happen since it started to come loose after I arrived here. It was quite funny though, scaring the crap out of Amanda and the rest of my flatmates. I couldn't get ahold of Dr. Stoner so I found a Doctor on my own and told Sean about my situation. Since I wasn't in pain, I went to the site study trips until my appointment today. I felt a little embarrassed about the situation, but more embarrassed that Sean lent me fifty pounds so I didn't have to travel back to my flat. I was a little nervous getting there on my own from the South Kensington Museum since I had never truly been alone in the city. I found my tube station, connecting line just fine. I got the tooth re cemented and now I have my smile again! woo! I met back up with the rest of the group at the Victoria & Albert Museum where I was once again blown away by the art I got to experience. I literally saw my favourite photographers of all time (William Eggleston, Alfred Stieglitz, Julia Margaret Cameron, Joel Meyerowitz). I'm definitely going back to get a better look - and to see that piece by Raphael.

Once again, I'll refer you to Amanda's blog for some photos until I can get my own up here. I'm beginning to really miss my family & friends, even though I couldn't be happier about being here. Your comments really mean a lot to me! I ran up the phone bill last night by catching up with my Liz and it really made me miss home. I'll get to spend my 21st there celebrating though. Annie, I'll be sure to update for you as much as possible :) and I saw a blown glass vase today with kitties on it and it made me think of LOLcats...I'm pretty sure it's just you and Emily who will appreciate that.

Love from London!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's cool, annie and i will appreciate the LOLCats reference enough for everyone. :)

i'm glad you got your tooth situation all worked out, and i'm SO jealous of all the cool stuff you're seeing!

i love you and miss you so much!

-emily

Anonymous said...

Dear Hillary, I am happy to hear that your sweet smile is all fixed. Give Sean our thanks for his understanding and the loan. Terry would like to chime in with his appreciation of LOL cats, too. I hope you can keep your energy level up. I love you and miss you, too! Mom

Stac said...

Hey Hill,

That stinks about you're tooth! Thank goodness you were able to get it fixed (even though I'm sure you still looked beautiful when it was MIA!). I'm really enjoying reading you're blog - thank you for creating this and keeping everyone informed! It sounds like you're being kept extremely busy, however try to fit in some time to rest (OMG! I sound like my mother!!!).

Talk to you soon,

Love,
Stacey & Raleigh