Thursday, May 22, 2008

We've Arrived in London

Sorry for this short, unorganized post, but the internet cafe is currently closing on me, so porper updating and details will come later.

Amanda and I made it here in Central London yesterday around noon after a series of strange events. First, our flight to North Carolina was delayed so much because of storms that we were going to miss our connecting flight to London. We were so stressed out about it, but luckily we got a new flight to Philidelphia, then to London-Heathrow. The best part was, they upgrtaded us to first class on accident. It was AMAZING. I felt like a celebrity and Amanda and I didn't quite know how to handle the treatment (or the space). Getting free drinks and fabulous meals while reclining in a chair all the way to London was a great way to travel. We didn't sleep much since we were so excited and overwhelmed by the service. We had the works, champagne, warm nuts, hot towels, cheesecake and comfort. Besides the stupid pressure headaches I get from fllying, it was definitely my best flying experience.

After we arrived at the airport, we easily found our luggage, went to the underground station to get our oyster cards and got a taxi to our flat. We were instantly greeted by the busy city. Since we arrived later than planned, we missed the group tour around our neighborhood with the faculty, so Dr. Hume gave the 4 late-comers a short version tour. The situation in the flat is probably the best it could be. The girls are split up into 2 groups and our flat consists of me, Amanda, Kelsie, Allison and Laura. We have two full bathrooms, a kitchen with tiny appliances and a living room.

For dinner, we had a group gathering at Al-dar, a Lebanese eatery that was fantastic. Dr. Saliba recommended some great dishes for us to try, and it helped that the waiter looked like a Middle Eastern Version of Shia Lebeouf. After dinner, the last game of the Euro Cup in football began and the whole city gathered in the pubs to watch. After our flatmates and I got groceries and unpacked, we met up with other UD students at the Duke of Yorke pub and had a pint of Stella Artois (Annie- this reminded me of you and Alex).

Today was our first real day in the city. I'll explain more later, but it was stressful, overwhelming and fun learning on the city streets with a group of 24.

Right now, My top worries (in order) of this trip so far are:

-Crossing the street
-Homework
-Money
-My loose tooth falling out

We saw so much that it's really difficult to sort it out right now with 3 minutes remaining. I'll write later, but I love and miss you all.

If you love me, please don't call or text me unless it's really important because it costs so much to use my mobile (although Courtney and Brandon, I did get your texts and I enjoyed them very much!) - my number should be the same, but you may have to include the country code (001) and if I do not answer, leave a voicemail.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Stac said...

Hey Hillary! I'm glad to here you've arrived safely in London. Just as I'd promised, I'll be checking in on your adventures as much as possible, so don't get too caught up having fun and forgot to keep us all up-to-date on your travels.

Luv U!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Hey Hill! Glad you arrived safely and enjoyed your flight. Don't worry- just be smart about money, homework, and getting around.

We miss you and are looking forward to your next post.
Mom and Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Hillary,

I'm glad to see that you made it to London safely. That's about that you got put into first class!! We all miss you(my family and I). I'm lookng forward for your next post. I sent you a letter in the mail; old school style!! Have fun over there!! Miss ya!!!

Berke

Anonymous said...

hill-dawg! i'm glad you're alive and well in london and that you and amanda got to enjoy a little upgrade action on your flight. that tickles me that you thought of me and alex when you had the stella. it sounds like everything has been fabulous so far! love and miss ya!

annie

Anonymous said...

hillary!
i'm sorry i missed your phone call! i'm glad you made it to london safely and your story about first class was hilarious. :) i hope you have fun and please be careful crossing the street!

ily!
-emily

Nick said...

Hillary, I can honestly say I'm jealous of the first class flights and the tasty fancy restaurants and everything. I can't tell you how many steps below first class the average Indian busride is...maybe like 8th class. Take care of yourself!