Monday, May 26, 2008

When in London...

Apologies for the various typos, I'm typing on my iPod and can't easily make revisions.

The last few days have been incredibly busy and I have hardly had time to explain what I have really been doing do far. The weekdays are busy with site study trips, which are the equivalent of classes. 4 out of the 5 days we go out in the city with our group of 20 students and 4 faculty members (spouses sometimes included). We have carefully planned out itineraries that correspond nicely with our mass amounts of daily readings. As the city is our primary text in this program, there is a great deal of hands on learning and visual application. Everyday we meet in the lobby of our building and leave promptly at 9am and finish up around 2-3 in the afternoon. The day consists of the entire group trying to keep up with Sean (as he is the primary leader and extremely fast paced walker). We go to not one, but many sites in the city and make various stops to hear what the teachers have to tell us. Sometimes we stop along busy streets or quieter sections of parks and churches, so that can feel kind of strange. We have already seen so much that it feels overwhelming to try and explain. The idea is to learn about the city in an integrated way. This includes ideas of history, literature, architecture/engineering and aesthetics/art in London. Our trips are usually to specific sections of the city. As it would be impossible to do a completely chronological tour of the city, we instead learn each area and kind of make connections as we travel.

Thursday was our first site study trip and our itinerary included Westminster (Parliament & st. George's tower), Whitehall, the London Eye (which was unfortunately closed), Bank, Lloyd's, Swiss Re and Liverpool street. We took our first double decker bus home and Amanda and I got the two front seats on the upper level. I thought so many times that we were going to hit a pedestrian or bicyclist! Friday included sites like Monument, Magnus, London bridge (not to be confused with the tower bridge), Chespside, Guildhall, the museum of London, St. Bart's, Smithfield and Barbican. That may not make too much sense, but pictures should help when I get the chance to post some. We have also seen various beautiful churches inside and out as well as parks and squares. My favourite from this day was Postman's park, which appears in the movie, Closer.

Friday night made a splash into the awesome weekend ahead. The girls in my flat and I went to the national portrait gallery to see the vanity fair photographs on exhibit. We got all dressed up and made the mistake of wearing heels like the rest of the London women do on a daily basis. It was so great seeing some of my favourite photographer's work and so many iconic images of the last 90 years in portraiture.

After the return to the flat and a quick reunion at the pub with the rest of our group, some of us decided to go dancing. We went to an over priced, but happening place in Leicester Square and danced the night away. We all got to bond and it was nice how much we looked out for one another. Saturday was an attempt at doing homework all day then a trip to the Covent Gardens area that had a great trendy place where we all danced our faces off again. That night was our first experience with getting caught in the English rain - I loved it.

To answer a few questions I know my parents had:
I have not noticed the prices of petrol (gasoline) here, but it is undoubtedly expensive. Public transport is thecwsy to go. Our oyster cards take us all over central London (zones 1&2) in either the underground or by bus. There are a lot of cyclists here, not for fun, but as a means of travel and they fly fhrough the streets alongside the buses. Of course, the wealthy and extremely poor do not take public transportation, but it seems like the best way for most to travel. They do pretty well trying to promote energy conservation and environmental issues. Recycling us relatively easy and there are even a few "charging posts" for electric cars. Many of the new buildings are also made environmentally friendly - look up the Gerken, it's fantastic.

From what I have observed, the British do like their personal space. On the tube, especially in the busy mornings, they keep to themselves. Most read a book or the newspaper or listen to music. I try to do the same, but it's difficult in a large group. Even when I think I'm being quiet, I can still recognize the low roar of our American voices. I hate being labeled as "another loud yank" but I can see where londoners would come to that conclusion, especially after dealing with tourists daily. I have met some friendly, or at least curious British people. It's difficult to tell when they might be making fun of you since they seem to still be polite while carrying on a conversation. The pharmacist in a local drug store chatted with amanda and I about our upcoming presidential election. I was truly blown away by how
much he knew about American politics. He jokingly(?) assumed we were voting for McCain and supported the Bush administration. Another funny thing was wgen I talked to a guy from Yorkshire and when he didn't understand me he kept saying "say again, in English." I have found some uncomfortable situations with ordering food, too but I'm learning!

As I predicted, my temporary lateral incisor has come loose. It's still in place but can feeely move. If you ever need a periodontis, I urge you to go to dr. Jason stoner. I'm saying this because he is definitely kindly getting me through this problem and calling in favors for me, even overseas.

Today's trip was primarily centered around paddingtin station. I think this may be my favourite underground/train station so far. It's another rainy day and I regret bringing my rainboots and a waterproof coat. Oh well, bring on the showers! I have 7 papers total due this week and 2 to finish fit tonight so time to go at last! Amanda is currently reading a midsummer night's dream in preparation for seeing it tomorrow night at the Globe.

I know I said it before, but picture to come!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Hillary. We are enjoying keeping up with your blog and your travels. Good luck with all those papers. How exactly are you writing them with no computer? Thanks for answering our questions about life in jolly ol' England.

We hope you get your tooth take care of soon. If you need something from here, we can send it to you.
Love, Mom and Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Hillary,

I am glad that you are having a really good time, but it sucks having seven papers due this week... My family all says hello. And when you are caught in the rain, I hope you are singing... Miss ya!!!

Berke

Stac said...

Hey Hillary!

I'm glad to hear things are going well; it sounds like you're being kept extremely busy! Seven papers in one week? YIKES!!! Can't wait to see some pictures. "Talk" with you soon,

Love,
Stacey & Raleigh

Anonymous said...

im such a loserrrrr! i check your blog way more than you update. i miss you! hope you're still having an amazing time!

mucho love!
annie

Maggie said...

Hi, Hillary!

I'm enjoying everything I read from you! Sounds like you are having a blast! Enjoy all the time you get to be there and soak up this awesome experience! Oh, you were cracking me up with the whole tooth issue! All I could think about was the fact that this would only happen to you! Hahah! Sorry it was such a crummy thing, but I'm glad you got it taken care of! Don't miss home too much, you'll be home before you know it! Oh, and when you get here! We'll be 21 and a party is a MUST!!! LOVE YOU! I can't wait to see you!

Love Maggie!