Tuesday, June 3, 2008

London's Mine

Look! I finally added photos - in sequential, album form! click HERE to view them from my Facebook - Or just go to http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2090093&l=34998&id=21907984. Whichever. They are photos from take off and our first day or two out in the city. Let me know what you think.

I'm currently working on getting a few postcards to you guys. Also, I'm still up for receiving letters! :)

Yesterday was our trip to St. Paul's Cathedral, the first Protestant Cathedral in England. It's very spatious in everyway, unlike some of the other churches we've visited. Every part of it is very open and naturally lit. The Dome is definitely the most attractive part of the design and I started to get dizzy just looking up at it. Like other cathedrals and museums, photography was not permitted, and like other cathedrals and museums we've visited, I managed to sneak a few. After that experience, Amanda and I had an awkward moment as we attempted to get our photo together on the front steps. Let's just say she tends to fall into me sometimes.

After St. Paul's we crossed the Millennium Bridge and talked about it for awhile before heading to the Tate Modern. Since Pizza Express was not so express, we only got to see the inside of the museum for about 15 minutes. What I saw was great, so we're definitely going back there to explore. We ended the day with some more English rain and a walk across the Tower Bridge.

I cannot wait until this weekend. It's our long weekend, since we get Friday off. Most people are going to Dublin or Paris, but Amanda (and 2 others in the group, Kathleen and Nathan) and I are going to Skye, Scotland. We still have to figure out the details with the train and hostels there, so I'm guessing it's going to run up the bill a bit. But it's SCOTLAND! And we were told Skye Isle is a wonderful place, so I'm sure it will be worth it.

Tomorrow we have to be ready to leave at a grueling 7AM to travel to Avebury and Salisbury. I'm ready for a day in the countryside of England and I have no idea what to expect. After the site study trip is our second group dinner, marking the middle of the program. I cannot believe it's almost half over already. I've become accustomed to the flow of the city, the sirens, the people, the food, I can't imagine being back in America quite yet.

To answer a few specific questions about life in London:

cell phones - called mobiles here, and people here are just as attached to them as they are in the States. Since most people go through their day as if only they existed, there aren't too many unspoken rules of etiquette I've picked up on. Most don't use them in the underground, but that may be because service is so poor. I wouldn't even say the English are any quieter on their mobiles, just maybe more respectful of a quiet area.

city travel - like many other cities that use a subway/underground/metro system, the London underground has the choice of getting tickets or a scanning card. We have cards (called oyster cards) that are scan-able for use of the tube or the bus systems. It's cheaper than buying weekly tickets and more efficient since it's faster to scan a card rather than feeding in a ticket - and trust me, you want it to be fast when gobs of people are rushing to get to their platform. So you go to the tube station, scan the card and the doors let you through - same goes for exiting as well. If you get through without scanning (which can be done), you are at risk of a fine if they do a random check, and those don't happen often. The oyster card works the same for the buses, but it's harder to sneak on since the drivers keep an eye on who scans their card. Buses are a neat experience, but I prefer the tube, even though it's hotter and dirtier.

food - Sure bangers and mash or fish and chips don't seem like fantastic meals, but that's British food for ya. I have not eaten any of these meals, but the pub food I have tried is fried, boiled and deliciously bad for you - especially at the Irish pub. Since London is full of European immigrants, there is literally every type of ethnic food available and it sure is good. It is kind of a joke that is said around here that the national dish is the Indian dish, chicken tikki masala.
Even the "fast food" is great because they are usually sandwich shops that are chains like EAT, Enjoy, or my personal favourite, Pret a Manger. They make various sandwiches daily and it works kind of like a classy grab and go. All of these places, inluding the ethnic foods have a lot more vegetarian options as well. They are creative and really yummy - also properly labeled. The grocery stores have a lot of the same general selections, but with most animal products and other things being organic. The best thing I have eaten so far would have to be either the pasta at the pub or the avacado, spinach, tomato, cheese, yogurt wrap I had today at Pret. mmm.

internet - Our flat does technically have wireless, but it is awful strength and mostly annoys me. Only one of the guys has a computer here, and I'm the only other one with internet access because I can access it through my iPod, however this is a huge distraction and I try to make Amanda break my habit. So we've mostly been going to the i-caf to update and such. 1 pound per hour!

I hope everyone is diong well. Thanks again for the comments, I love it! Please check out my first batch of photos by clicking HERE .

Peace & Love




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and pics Hill! It's hard to believe you're coming up to the half-way point of your trip. Thanks for answering our questions. We have a few more that we'll send later.

Love, Mom and Terry

Anonymous said...

Hillary! I love reading your blog everything seems so exciting and your descriptions make me feel like I'm right there. you're a little journalist! (in that voice me and alex do) :) its crazy that you're almost already halfway done! Have fun in Scotland!

love
annie

Anonymous said...

Time does fly when you enjoy learning about new things, meeting people from different cultures and sampling their ways of life. That veggie burger you described must have been a good one! Any chance of getting the recipe? I'll have one waiting on the grill when you get here.

LOVE YOU, Dad and Tish