Sunday, June 15, 2008

Avebury, Amesbury & Salisbury

First I want to say HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to my Father and step-Father. Both of whom made this trip possible for me. I love you!

It's been awhile, but I'm back for a little game of catch up. I really wish I had more time for things like this because as we're now into our last week, I find myself already forgetting little things I've done/seen. This last week especially has been a whirl-wind week so this is my attempt to pick up where I left off.

Last Wednesday (4 June), we took our first site study trip outside of the city of London. I was especially enthused because I do miss the calmness of the country and I heard nothing but great things about the English countryside. We all hopped on the coach early in the morning and tried to nap, but our bus driver was pretty scary. I can recall being about 45 minutes into the trip when I woke up and all of the sudden it was great expanses of countryside and then patches of little town. The sky looked like a Bob Ross painting or something. We first went to a town and saw our first bit of Neolithic stone structures. We were dropped off at what seemed like a very quiet park with trails and everything, but really, it was more like a farm. There were sheep just roaming around (we had to watch where we stepped) the grassy areas with these prehistoric stones sticking up. We hiked for awhile, then took the coach to Stonehenge.





It was great to see it, after learning about it for some length in Art History. People get disappointed when they see it because it's only about 25 feet tall, but it's an amazing structure. I absolutely loved it, but what they don't tell you is how many beetles there are. We were swarmed, constantly picking them out of our hair. The only other negative to Stonehenge in comparison to Avebury is that you have to stay behind a roped off area.

The rest of the day was spent in Salisbury where we got to see the famous Salisbury Cathedral (aslo made familiar by Art History class) and we also roamed around the town a bit. Oh, and I definitely had my best veggie burger EVER there at a place called "Fish n Chips". It was super unhealthy, but made my stomach smile.








I have so much more to tell, but I must get started on the 11 papers due this week. Woo finals!! Tomorrow is our last real day out for a site-study trip :(

And quick highlight of my day today: going to Abbey Road (we definitely took the tourist photo) and seeing another Shakespeare play at the Globe.

Peace & Love
-Hill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics Hill! It's hard to believe your time in London is drawing to a close. Wow. How time flies! Good luck getting through finals this week.
Love, Mom and Terry

Anonymous said...

I love you, Hillary. Gran