Friday, May 8, 2009

Seoul Shopping & Night Life

Since the Hopkins sisters are androids, we had to recharge our batteries to the fullest to enjoy our first full day together in Seoul.  We went to lunch with her Aussie friend, Stephanie and Alex, a fellow American, where I had my first kimchi experience - as authentic as it gets! Eating out at restaurants is so cheap compared to back home. That meal, for example, cost the equivalent of a little over $3.5o! I learned some table manners...most of which I broke unknowingly (of course). No sneezing at the table (or anywhere public if you can help it), no blowing your nose at the table, pour drinks for others and only have others pour your own drink, don't pick up the bowl you're eating from (different from other Asian cultures), and don't eat rice with chopsticks, use a spoon. Wow, I have terrible etiquette in every country, awesome! Oh and kimchi isn't as spicy as I anticipated, but it did get my nose running a bit, hence the nose blowing at the table. Mints ARE necessary afterward though, you'll be tasting that cabbage all day. Eating vegetarian is more difficult than any other place I've traveled, besides maybe Forks. Meat and/or fish seems to be Incorporated (even if only small amounts) in just about every meal. I'm trying not to be a snob about it either. So far, it's worked out, even though I'm really missing cheese as a daily part of my diet. 

Shopping commenced a few subway stops away in Dongdaemun. The subway is actually fairly clean, easy to understand (complete with English signs) and follow, and it's relatively cool! Dongdaemun had a ton of fabric stores and shopping centers that went stories high. The one we checked out had 7 floors and each floor has tiny booths set up almost like a carnival with varying styles of clothes. We haggled the salespeople and dropped all of my cash, but we got some sweet buys. I found the sizes to be ridiculously small. I mean, I would look at a skirt and then put it down after noticing the size. The saleswoman at one place shook her head and said "will stretch, will stretch!" I continued on and pulled another skirt out somewhere else that looked about right. The woman pulled it up my legs where my thighs stopped it from going any further, so she reached in the depths to grab a large, a size most clothes didn't come in. One woman was so helpful though, and she hugged me after I finally bought something. The fashion is made for the leggy. I rarely see girls with shirts too far below their collar bones. Not for me. I do appreciate the flowy on top, tight on bottom look, flattering if done correctly. 
Once we finished up, I heard a weird rendition of "Dancing Queen" and I instantly thought of my roommates' weird thing they have for Mama Mia. We followed the music and see a stage with four Asians doing a sexy song and dance to all the musical favorites. Somewhere around "Take a Chance on Me," Liz started video taping and I was cracking up at the choreographed girls playing electric strings and keytar. 

We went back to campus for dinner and found Kimbob, which most would call sushi. Actually, it originated from Korea and then morphed into something a little different. I had an amazing veg roll with what I think was cheese. 

The night began at a Hookah bar, pretty interesting concept in Korea, I must say. It was called the rainbow room and we met up with Bich there, the awesome San Jose native who hung out with us all night. A DJ played techno music and on his breaks, Jason Maraz scarred my ears; they love him here, who knew? It was decorated with tapestries that looked kind of like a college dorm in the nineties of someone who'd wear a drug rug and be reading a copy of Siddhartha on their chai tea break. Vic described life in California and Liz tried to convince me to stay in Asia. It was a great beginning to the night. Right after we got some deep fried street food; sweet potatoes, boiled eggs and cabbage. YUM.

Club Eden was on the list first since we got free admission for being facebook friends. Admission is usually ~$25, way more than the clubs I went to in London. We only stopped in before heading to Club Answer, the top club in Seoul, where Liz's friends were hanging out. She got the three of us in for FREE and in VIP, just for name dropping. Amazing. We danced and showed Seoul how to move, especially after the amazing Korean DJ came on. I met even more people, got hit on by some creepy Hungarians and saw Seoul from a rooftop. Liz knows how to turn out a good night, that's for sure. 


2 comments:

Nick said...

I have but one request for you, dear Hillary. Do you think you can find that keytar girl and bring her back with you? That'd be great, thanks.

Happy Dad missing his girls said...

I didn't know Koreans eat out of mixing bowls. I love seeing you two together in a foreign country! Have fun, be safe, and post as often as you can. Love, Dad